Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Appt....

Gibson had an evaluation with a doctor in Lubbock this past Friday. The good news is that we got some answers, and some suggestions on how to work with him. The doctor diagnosed him with PDD (or Pervasive Developmental Disorder), it is on the Autism Spectrum but in the VERY high functioning side. Both the doctor who evaluated him, and a speech/developmental therapist (who also evaluated him) think that with continued speech therapy as well as adding some behavioral and occupational therapies will help Gibson immensely. It is going to be a long and hard process, but we are in it for the long haul. The goal is to have Gibson at age level developmentally by kindergarten so he is working at the same level as all the other kids.
We still plan on seeing a doctor in OKC to get her opinion as well, but this appt hasn't even been scheduled yet due to the abundance of people wanting to go see her.
I will update more later on what we are doing and anything new that we find out.

On another note we had a ton of fun in Texas this weekend... but I forgot to get my camera out of the car the entire trip. Thursday night was the first night we stayed in a hotel with the kiddos... let me just say it was an experience! Gibson didn't fall asleep until 1:30am and we had to wake up to get Chad off to Aunt Casey's house by 7:30am so we were up by 6:00am. Needless to say it was a short night and a long day. We went to the doctor in Lubbock, then had lunch with Aunt Casey, Uncle Rick, and cousin Evan. Then it was off to Seminole where we saw the speech and development therapist. After that appt we went to Granci and Papa's (Gerod's parents) for the night. Saturday morning we woke up and drove to Lubbock, where we had ROSA's (a favorite of Gerod and mine) and we all attended cousin Taylor's 6th birthday. After the party we drove another 2 hours to Midland were we had Aunt Jenni's birthday dinner. This morning we woke up and ate breakfast with Gigi, Papa and cousin Jaxon and then had lunch at Texas Burger with everyone plus Aunt Jenni and Uncle Steven... then we drove home! After almost 7 LONG hours in the car we are finally home. Gibson is already passed out in bed, and Chad is chatting up a storm and rolling all over the living room. Hopefully we will head to bed soon to rest up after the very long weekend!!


Megan and David said...

I am so glad you met with this doctor and got some answers. It must be a huge relief to have a plan. Gibson is such a sweet boy with awesome parents! We will pray for continued progress!!

Elizabeth Herren said...

Hey Callie!
I just wanted to let you know that your friends are in it for the long haul too! We love you and are praying for you and Gibson and will do all we can to help!

grancinpapaw said...

Short & sweet! But a great time to get to see you guys and our sweet boys! With supportive parents like you guys, Gibson is going to be just fine and right on track by the time he gets to Kindergarten! He is such an awesome little guy! And you two are so willing to help him! That is what it takes! We are here for you too!! We love you all so much!!!

Granci & Papaw

The Ratpack said...

You are such a great mom! Sweet Gibson (and you guys) and in my prayers!!